Wednesday, August 18, 2010

Hungry and cranky

So I started counting calories again a week ago. I got really lazy about it and kind of went food crazy on our trip to Colorado. My mom stocked the hotel room with sweets! Don't hassle me, ok?! But once you get into that no-counting, sugar-craving mode, it is hard to lift yourself out. I had to kick myself to start counting again. The worst is when you go over and the little numbers that normally tell you how many calories you have left turn red, like you're a bad person.
So in the last week, I just counted every calorie. I don't try to cheat and tell the counter I ate less to keep under my allotted 1,600 a day, I just went for it. So what if I was 700 calories over last week? It's really not that bad. Plus, I lost 1.8 pounds since the 11th. So there, calorie counter.
Sugary treats are my definite weakness. After every meal, I want to eat something sweet. Every night, I want ice cream or cake, and I ALWAYS want chocolate. I can usually whine and eventually Mike will give in and take me somewhere, even though I asked him specifically to make sure we only have a treat on Fridays. That rule kept getting broken, but this week, I'm determined to stick to it, and it's Wednesday! Seriously, that's big for me.
See, growing up, my mom didn't let us have sugar. On top of that, we were really poor and didn't have a lot of food. So when we'd go to the grocery store and gorge ourselves on all the tasty, new stuff. Anything sweet was GONE. When mom started buying us soda and treats, they never lasted. I have tried so hard to get over it, to take my time and enjoy sweets, but it's a real problem for me.
When I got out of high school and lived with my dad, he gave me a credit card and I started binge eating. Thankfully, I can control the binging now, but I gained nearly fifty pounds within a couple years after high school.
I've been overweight since I was eight, but I remember being so self conscious of my body during middle and high school. Man, if I could go back to my weight, even in senior year, I'd be ecstatic! I'd feel like the sexiest girl alive.
Anyway, I'm trying to take baby steps back into weight loss. It's now been a year since I officially started losing weight, and due to "free periods" and setbacks, I have, as of today, only lost 28 pounds. Which isn't bad or anything, but I was almost at -35 before I fell off the wagon. Plus, I was at the 25 pounds lost mark on Christmas day.
But I have a few rules and tricks. The Lose it! app on my iphone has been amazing. I have an old abslide, which my dad gave me probably ten years ago, that I use every Monday, Wednesday and Friday night before bed (makes me sleepy). I bought a cute little salsa bowl from Target to use for cereal, since I can easily eat three or four servings of cereal. I have one of those little weekly pill thingies that I use to take my vitamins. I'm taking a daily women's multivitamin, Omega 3 tablets, apple cider vinegar tablets and folic acid (because I'm growing out my hair).
Anyway, I'm hungry and cranky because I am starting to make an effort to hold off on the calorie-rich snacks like potato chips and whatnot. I just made Mike his dinner, now I have to decide what I'm going to eat. I really wish he and I liked the same foods, but he's a meat/potatoes/bread person and I'm an anything and everything person. It can be hard to deal with.

2 comments:

  1. I hate counting calories, but I really should again, too. I need to lose weight, too. Ugh baby pooch. :(

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's a pain, but so effective. Basically, when I have an idea of what I eat in a day, it's harder for me to justify one more snack just because I'm bored.
    But if I didn't have my counter right on my phone, I think I would have given up months ago. So what I'm saying is the key to weight loss is an iphone! ;)

    ReplyDelete